Sunday, January 13, 2013

ENERGY

Sunday, January 13th - Greetings

Here at Sunnyside Environmental Middle School we are focusing on ENERGY during January and February.  Currently students are studying different forms of energy, nonrenewable and renewable forms and how it is harnessed and used. They are beginning to gain an understanding of the issues, forming educated opinions and how to take action. The Energy Teach-In is Jan 22-25. Students will listen to key-note speakers, attend break-out sessions, view movies, have discussions and explore energy deeply. In the weeks following the Teach-In, students will choose an issue to focus on, develop and implement an action plan and write a persuasive essay.

In honor of Martin Luther King Jr, January has traditionally has been our month to focus on service. We are extending into February so we can take the time to go deeply into an issue that students care about so that they can affect change. Students will be coming home to discuss big issues, to ask questions, to challenge our way of living. As and environmental school that focuses on affecting positive change in our homes, communities and planets, I invite you to have deep conversations with your child, be willing to make changes if the opportunity arises and to ask them to participate fully in our studies. I admit, there is a lot of overwhelming and depressing information around energy. I tell our young ones, that with education comes responsibility. We are living in a very dynamic time and they are our future.

Along with in school activities, our field studies are also focused on energy. On Thursday we went to Mercy Corps where we participated in a workshop on Energy Poverty. It was hugely informative and highly interactive. I'll be posting some great fotos of the day! Students were able to really feel what it would be like to carry large amounts of water for a long distance, study at night with inadequate light and breath air as if they lived with an open fire constantly. It was a great field study!
This Thurs, we will stay at school (maybe take a walking trip to the library)
After the teach-in we will go to OMSI and then to Reed College to study the nuclear reactor there.

You are welcome to join us, teach a break-out session, be a volunteer for transition times etc. I have heard from a few of you and will be sending your interest onto Michelle who will coordinate volunteers.

A few more updates:
1. Please sell applebees tickets! As Barbara says, "you are paying it forward", last year's 8th grade efforts are paying for this year's so what we raise this year will make next year possible. I know we do a lot of fundraising! It all goes so we can have amazing learning experiences. Please participate to the best of your ability!

2. Homework. Please help your child complete their homework. This last week I only assigned one thing and 1/2 the class did not turn it in. I need your help to keep students on track and to support our class in moving forward. thanks.

Hope you all had a restful weekend. I'm looking for and ENERGETIC week! I hear the sun will be out!

No comments:

Post a Comment