Cori's Class
Sunnyside Environmental School 3421 SE Salmon St. Portland, OR 97214 - clongstr@pps.net
Saturday, November 3, 2012
HI Folks
We spent a good deal of time catching up on Friday and making sure we are ready for the end of the Quarter this Thursday, Nov 8th.
Here's what should be done!
Monday - Big People Plant/Tree Page
Students had 3 separate class sessions to work on this assignment. It will be graded as a writing assignment as the are working on reading informational text and writing about it. Just so you know, I told all students that if their page is not ready on Monday then he/she will stay in 3 lunch periods with me! I will follow thru on this because I want students to use class time wisely and so far our class does not have a great homework turn in rate. I want all students to be responsible for their own motivation and completion of projects.
Monday - Fantasy Book Group #5
Catch up on reading this week and be prepared for group #5 as well as a group assignment.
Monday, November 5 - 1st Quarter Service (we discussed these things in class as well)
**may include: School - harvest faire, community - Day of the Dead (you can also use this for next quarter if you have fulfilled this quarter's), any other projects you have done that was approved by me!
There should be a minimum of three paragraphs
-I am looking for a strong hook and conclusion... CONNECTIONS of your work to the outside communities and world...Correct grammar and punctuations, and of course a creative piece (please don't do the same creative piece over and over again on each reflection... spice it up)
-I would recommend doing your work on the computer as I often send back reflections for editing after I first receive them. Doing your work on the computer enables you to go back and make corrections without having to feel like you are starting all over again.
What?
•What did you do?
•Who was involved?
•Where were you?
•What part did you play?
•When did it happen?
Cori's comments: The "what" is a quick, brief paragraph. Recognize that you must go far beyond the “what” to have a complete reflection as paragraph takes little thought and effort to complete. Pay attention to the “so what” and give the MOST attention and thought to the “now what”
SO WHAT?
•Why did you do it?
•Why was it important to do?
•How was it helpful?
•Who benefits from the Project?
NOW WHAT?
•What are you going to do with what you learned?
•What will you keep doing (or not doing) now?
•How is this action connected to a larger issue? What larger issue?
•Who is doing something about this issue?
•What organizations exist to address this issue? (feel free to include newspaper articles, sketches/diagrams, current events etc)
Always Consider…
you --> School --> COMMUNITY --> WORLD
Cori's notes: A paragraph should be spent showing how your work connects outside of your three hours of service to the greater community and world.
Final note:
When looking at reflections I will always look for a hook, 3 paragraphs (with the NOW WHAT paragraph reflecting the most effort), and CONNECTIONS (showing how your work relates to bigger picture ideas).
Hope this helps. We discussed Service journals on Friday, 7th & 8th shared with the 6th and we compared notes! I am most interested in the students telling me their story than answering the questions line by line. I want to know how this is affecting them rather than knowing they completed this project because they were told to.
This outline will hold true for the rest of the year! Feel free to refer back to this page in the future!
Tuesday - Hopkins Tree Farm
Ecore questions and assignments due. Please write in complete sentences and at least a paragraph for each question!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Newer Post
Older Post
Home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment